Who We Are
Networked Insights technology helps marketers from the world’s biggest brands and agencies understand their customers, inform their media spend, invent new products, drive amazing creative campaigns and improve their targeting by providing game-changing insights no other technology company can provide.
Our two primary products - Kairos and Audience.ai - help brands tap into billions of public online and social conversations (classified intelligently using the latest advancements in AI and machine learning) so that they can become more relevant to consumers, and get better results from their campaigns.
What You’ll Do
Networked Insights flows data from its sources into a streaming classification and analytics pipeline. From there, data is flowed into several systems including a full text search document database, analytic database, and so-called data lake. Downstream, a variety of summaries are generated and flowed into various data stores for reporting in our data products.
Broadly speaking, data engineering at Networked Insights is responsible for organizing data, addressing performance problems, making data processing systems reliable, supporting data quality, and supporting convenient access to data for both internal and external users.
Our web applications use a relational database (Postgres) for OLTP, as well as some reporting. Supporting these things will lean on traditional data warehousing knowledge, schema design, and query authoring skills. As time goes on, more systems use non-traditional computing tools and non-traditional data stores and, as such, our data engineers need to have familiarity with these technologies and occasionally do something which straddles the boundary between data engineering and software development.
- Organize data. In the context of relational databases, this includes schema design and authoring ETL. In other data stores, it may entail coming up with organizational systems, file formats, ETL workflows, and others as needed.
- Address performance problems. In relational databases, this is query optimization and indexing. In other data stores, it might mean selecting a more appropriate compute tool, or revising Spark code.
- Understand all data flows downstream from the streaming platform. Devise monitoring to identify data problems. Revise systems as necessary to provide the reliability our customers expect.
- Build systems to provide convenient access to data. This can involve new data flows, new summaries, configuration of reporting tools, creation of dashboards, and others as needed.
- Participate in agile process, use JIRA to communicate and manage workflow.
What You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field of Engineering, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Significant experience working with relational databases (eg., Postgres, Oracle), familiarity with a full range of SQL syntax, stored procedures, etc.
- Experience with database modeling tools, database normalization, logical and physical database design and implementation.
- Familiarity with database internals such as binary logging, indexes, statistics, query planning, transactions, concurrency management, and high-performance loading.
- Some knowledge of DBA skills/tasks.
- Familiarity ETL operations and tools.
- Familiar with Linux, using console tools.
- Experience with Cloud platforms (eg., AWS, GCP, Azure, or similar).
- Familiarity with development tools and workflows such as git, CI/CD, Jenkins, Eclipse, mvn.
- Experience with higher-level languages such as Groovy or Python, particularly for authoring ETL.
- Experience authoring webservices and webservice clients.
- Familiarity with big data compute tools: Batch big data tools such as Hadoop, Spark. or Beam/Dataflow. Familiarity with analytic databases, such as GCP/BigQuery, AWS/Athena, or AWS/Redshift.
Who You Are
- You are prepared to take responsibility for the above mentioned issues, by exploring the business, discovering needs, and eventually driving your own workflow with only modest direction from your manager.
- You work well with others and enjoy knowing the business reasons behind why we develop a new feature or product.
- Initiative, results-oriented drive and a solid work.
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills; ability to prioritize and manage competing tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment.
- Assertive personality with a solid work ethic and initiative, requiring minimal direction.
- High energy and drive, coupled with resourcefulness, required to succeed in a start-up environment
- A ferocious problem solver, capable of becoming productive quickly in an unfamiliar codebase.
What You’ll Get
- Ownership and challenge in your work
- Collaborate with intelligent and highly skilled coworkers
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits, including health, dental, vision, disability, 401(k) and life insurance
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
- Company Culture that is Committed to Work-Life Balance for each and every employee
- Casual office environment with a startup feel – We have a particular fondness for Peanut M&Ms
- Fantastic Downtown Location connected to the Merchandise Mart
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.